Dr. Anthony Leeds
MB, BS, MSc, CBiol, FSB
Cambridge Weight Plan
Cambridge Weight Plan, with one-to-one support, is proven to deliver larger weight losses than conventional diets, in a shorter period, with low drop-out rates. The larger weight losses are linked to greater reductions in organ lipid content with consequent greater recovery of insulin sensitivity, and overall improvement in cardiovascular and metabolic risk. Larger weight losses also mean greater and more rapid improvement in symptoms, such as pain in knee osteoarthritis, and measures of respiratory function in obstructive sleep apnoea. We are delighted to be able to share the published research evidence with you.
Total Diet Replacement (TDR) programmes (diets based only on formula food products only and providing 810kcal/d) have been shown to give about 10kg or around 10% body weight loss in secondary and primary care research settings. In the absence of any previous study undertaken in a primary care/community setting the DROPLET trial (Doctor Referral of Overweight People to Low Energy total diet replacement Treatment (DROPLET): a randomised controlled trial) was designed to test whether similar weight losses would occur when obese patients were referred to a commercial provider (Cambridge Weight Plan) operating outside a healthcare setting and with responsibility for medical monitoring and management remaining with the primary care team.
A preliminary presentation was made at the European Congress on Obesity in Vienna (May 23rd to 26th 2018) in which the effects of GP referral to a Cambridge Weight Plan Consultant or to usual care were reported. The presentation received widespread media reporting.
A Total Diet Replacement weight loss and maintenance programmes delivered by a commercial providers (in this case Cambridge Weight Plan Consultants) following referral by General Practitioners led to just over 10kg average weight loss (7kg more than a usual care programme) at one year, was safe, and gave greater benefits than the usual care programme.
Doctor Referral of Overweight People to Low Energy total diet replacement Treatment (DROPLET): results of a randomised controlled trial Astbury, N. M.; Aveyard, P.; Nickless, A.; Hood, K.; Corfield, K.; Lowe, R.; Jebb, S. A. Obesity Facts 11 (Suppl1) page 298 doi 10.1159/000489691 https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/489691
- What does Cambridge Weight Plan offer?
Cambridge Weight Plan products conform to current meal replacement and total diet replacement (TDR) regulations. They are nutritionally complete meeting the daily requirements for micronutrients, protein and essential fatty acids. The products offered are soups, shakes, bars and a variety of conventional foods: porridge, pasta and rice products.
Four products can be used to make up an 800kcal/d dietary intake. However, higher energy intake levels, such as 1000kcal/d, 1200kcal/d and 1500kcal/d may be used on our Milk Options plans for weight loss before bariatric surgery. These higher energy intake levels are achieved by adding skimmed milk or even small portions of high protein conventional meals.
- Cambridge Weight Plan programmes work by increasing the dietary deficit above the 600kcal/d deficit usually used in dietetic practice thus causing rates of weight loss in excess of 1kg/week.
- Typically women lose 1 to 1.5kg/week and men a little more.
- Healthcare practitioners have often been concerned that rapid and greater weight losses may be followed by weight regain even above the original baseline. A lot of effort has been put into developing ways to maintain weight after this type of weight loss and a number of trials show that weight maintenance of 10 to 15% body weight is possible for periods of one to four years.
- Lean mass loss has been shown to be lower than expected after weight loss with a TDR. Ten per cent of weight lost and maintained at one year with the use of a TDR after heart attack or stents was lean mass – much lower than the literature generally suggests. Lean losses in older obese people with knee osteoarthritis were also less than expected.
- Cambridge Weight Plan Consultants operate within a strict set of rules and protocols to ensure that the diet chosen is appropriate for the individual and their profile of obesity comorbidities. There is a series of Steps and individuals start and move up or down in terms of energy intake according to what is appropriate. This is thus a very individually determined dietary programme.
- Cambridge Weight Plan has always had a policy of total transparency with research data ownership remaining with research teams. All clinical trial thus report adverse event profiles. As a result of this extensive knowledge Cambridge Weight Plan Consultants are able to warn about common minor adverse events and ensure a better experience for their clients – your patients.
- Recent research has shown the effect of TDR in type 2 diabetes – in a primary care based trial three out four of those with early diabetes (diagnosed for less than six years) were moved into remission at one year after commencement of the diet and maintenance programme delivered by health care professionals
Watch the BBC television feature covering the research results of 5 people placed on the Cambridge liquid diet. All participants reversed their obesity related medical conditions, including priest Father Lomas, who reversed his diabetes type 2 condition.
Watch video here.
Read more about the DiRECT trial here: https://www.cambridgeweightplan.com/news/2906/cambridge-weight-plan-used-in-ground-breaking-remission-trial or see a summary of the research here: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)33102-1/fulltext
The DROPLET trial has shown that GPs can refer patients to Cambridge Weight Plan Consultants with confidence. A link to a preliminary report is provided above.